Save the Date for a Fun, Free Coastal Event
You're invited to our favorite biennial event! We're excited to share that Open House 2017 will be happening on October 21.
Every two years, the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources (SCDNR) opens the doors of its Marine Resources Center in Charleston to invite the public in for an Open House. This is our chance to meet folks from around the area and share some of the work we do in a fun, relaxed setting. Open House is always a family-friendly event with a lot of activities for kids (and grown-ups!).
The Marine Resources Center is home to scientists, managers, and educators who study everything along our coast from algae to tiger sharks. It's the headquarters for SCDNR's Marine Resources Division, and it's also home to our partners with the College of Charleston Grice Marine Lab, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the Medical University of South Carolina, and Hollings Marine Lab -- all of whom will be represented at the Open House. We're also grateful to our friends at the Harry Hampton Wildlife Fund for making this event possible through their sponsorship.
Parking will be provided at James Island Charter High School, where shuttles will be waiting to transport visitors to the Marine Resources Center. The event happens outside, so whether there's rain or sunshine on October 21, make sure you and your family dress comfortably. Food and drinks will be available for purchase on site.
Here are a few of the things visitors will be able to do at the 2017 Open House:
- Practice casting techniques and fishing knots with help from experts
- Come face-to-face with live fish and crustaceans in touch tanks
- For kids: Win a prize for participating in educational activities
- Tour one of our research vessels to see what life is like at sea for our crew and researchers
- Take an educational cruise around Charleston Harbor (limited space; pre-registration required)
- Learn about our coast at dozens of other booths and activities
We'll be releasing more information as Open House draws closer, but in the meantime, you can direct any questions to Erin Weeks at [email protected] or (843) 953-9845.
Mark your calendar and we'll see you in Charleston on October 21!